Outpatient Surgery Magazine

OR Excellence Awards 2016 - September 2016 - Subscribe to Outpatient Surgery Magazine

Outpatient Surgery Magazine, providing current information on Surgical Services, Surgical Facility Administration, Outpatient Surgery News and Trends, OR Excellence and more.

Issue link: http://outpatientsurgery.uberflip.com/i/726435

Contents of this Issue


Page 63 of 146

plans are recorded in the center's practice management software. The center's nurses also remind patients during pre-op phone calls about their payment. Once the procedure is complete, and the center receives the insurer's payments, it follows up with the patient about any outstanding charges. The collections process is handled entirely in-house, with Ms. Church sending out monthly collection letters to patients who owe money, in addition to sending regular statements automatically gener- ated by the company's billing software. This extremely thorough process is also extremely effective. "We are happy to say that so far in 2016, 92% of our accounts receivable is current, leaving only 8% of our AR aged from 30 to more than 180 days old," says Ms. Mackler. Saving on supplies In addition to smart account management, the staff at the Seaford Endoscopy Center is also very conscious of supply costs. To stay competitive, Ms. Mackler says that the center reviews its list of high- usage supplies and performs a cost-comparison among several ven- dors twice a year. Additionally, the center's materials manager is always on the lookout for a better deal. "We never compromise quality, but we will look for the same or com- parable items at the best price," says Ms. Mackler. The strategy is work- ing. In 2014, the center saved $1,600, in 2015 it saved $410, and in 2016 the center has a projected savings of at least $800. This method also extends to medications. The center recently asked its medical staff to review the quantities of its stocked medications and evaluate which ones were thrown out too frequently. It then used this information to reduce some of its par levels and decrease overall waste. "In 2015, our supply cost as a percentage of total revenue aver- aged 5.15% as compared to our specialty (gastroenterology) median of 6 4 • O U T PA T I E N T S U R G E R Y M A G A Z I N E • S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 6 Awards Issue

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Outpatient Surgery Magazine - OR Excellence Awards 2016 - September 2016 - Subscribe to Outpatient Surgery Magazine